jwildfire.org

The official JWildfire forum
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:25 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Param variable expansion
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:39 am 

Is there a way to expand the param variables to a larger amount like maybe 50 but only shown if needed. Example: right now parplots only allow params a-f but I want to add 3 more variables so it would be a-i for certain formula. Basically, would like to a a "infinite" amount of variables to the variations that use the "param" variables. Another example for knots3D preset 7 there are at least 17 possible params but we can only do 8 (a-h). I hope my request makes sense if not please let me know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:05 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Brad,
I'm not sure if this would be of great use (for many users) because those params are already very cryptic (a-f). It would need some general improvement to allow proper naming. But, I do not know formulas with such many params, each with a proper name. (I mean something like "amplitude", "phase", "damping" and "frequency" for an oscillation, for example)
It would probably also slow down the UI a little bit. Can you provide some examples?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:10 am 

Quote:
Hi Brad,
I'm not sure if this would be of great use (for many users) because those params are already very cryptic (a-f). It would need some general improvement to allow proper naming. But, I do not know formulas with such many params, each with a proper name. (I mean something like "amplitude", "phase", "damping" and "frequency" for an oscillation, for example)
It would probably also slow down the UI a little bit. Can you provide some examples?

Cheers!
Example for knots3D preset 17 xformula I can only use 8 variables/params
param_a*cos(t) + param_b*sin(t) - param_c*cos(2*t) - param_d*sin(2*t) - param_e*cos(3*t) + param_f*sin(3*t) - param_g*cos(4*t) + param_h*sin(4*t) -11*cos(5*t) - 12*sin(5*t) + 4*cos(6*t) - 19*sin(6*t) + 12*cos(7*t) + 2*sin(7*t)

so if I wanted to animate more than that I can not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

Ah, ok. But, probably, you never would animate all variables at once.
So, you could create a customized formula, having params for the parts you want to animate. Does this make sense?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:52 am 

It does make sense. But I think it would be very useful if you could allow how many Params you want and it would populate. Like the number of filters with maurer rose, Maybe not infinite but could the amount of params at least be expanded? I tried doing it with parplots and I broke stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:48 am 
Site Admin

I will think about it